The Michael Davitt/Glasgow Celtic exhibition was officially launched, to great acclaim, by Minister for Tourism & Sport Mr Michael Ring TD at the Davitt Museum, Straide on Friday 27 March.
Michael Davitt was elected as the first patron of Glasgow Celtic FC in 1889 and turned the sod on their new ground in 1892. Indeed it is believed by many that it was Michael Davitt who suggested the name “Celtic” for the club to symbolize the close historical relationship between the Irish and the Scottish.
The exhibition features historical replica jerseys kindly donated by Glasgow Celtic FC including the inaugural 1888 jersey, and the following 1892 jersey which featured the green and white stripes and which had as its emblem the Fenian Harp.
The club also donated 2 modern jerseys worn by star players James Forrest and Joe Ledley during the 2013-14 season.
A centerpiece of the exhibition is a specially commissioned, marble stone memorial plaque dedicated to Michael Davitt and his patronage of Glasgow Celtic.
The exhibition is richly illustrated with historical images of Glasgow Celtic football grounds, and teams which bring to life the formative days of an Irish club in Scotland which went on to have great success and later became the first British team to win the European Cup, as the famous Lisbon Lions.
The exhibition is now open to the public and includes a guided tour, which features a short audio visual presentation of Davitt`s career, and an explanation of how the land war Home Rule and Glasgow Celtic all intertwined in Michael Davitt`s life.
The Michael Davitt Museum is open 7 days per week Mon-Sat 10am-4.30pm (Sun 2-5pm)
Groups can be catered for outside of these times by appointment
E Mail firstname.lastname@example.org