The remains of Ballylahan Castle are located close to the River Moy in the  parish of Straide.The castle was built by Jordan de Exeter in 1239 when he was  the Anglo Norman Sheriff of Connacht, and ancestor of the Clan Siurtain Gaileng/Mac  Siurtain.

He built the castle of Ballylahan on the present junction of the N58 and R321  for his reputedly demanding and domineering wife.

It overlooked Athlethan, or Straide, where he built an abbey for the Franciscans  but, at the behest of his wife, transferred it to the Dominicans in 1253.

Little evidence of what the castle looked like in its time is now left.