George Moore (1727-1799), who built Moore Hall, originally came from Straide.

During the time of the Penal Laws, George went to Spain where  he was admitted to the Royal Court. From the 1760s until about 1790, George made  his fortune in the wine and brandy trade, running his business from Alicante.  When the Penal Laws were relaxed at the end of the 18th century, he returned to  Mayo with a fortune of £200,000 and in 1783, bought over 12,000 acres (49 km2)  of land at Muckloon, Ballycally and Killeen from Farragh Mc Donnell, and  commissioned the building of the grand residence of Moore Hall.


George’s son, John Moore (1767 – 1799), was educated in  France and became a lawyer. With the rebellion of 1798, he returned to Mayo.  General Humbert appointed him President of the Connacht Republic in Castlebar.  Thus, John Moore was the first President of an Irish republic, albeit for a very  brief interval. He was captured by the English Lord Cornwallis and, although  initially sentenced to death, his sentence was later commuted to deportation. He  died in the Royal Oak tavern in Waterford on 6 December, 1799. His body was  exhumed from Ballygunnermore Cemetery in Waterford in 1962 and brought to  Castlebar, where he was buried in the Mall with full military honours.

George Henry Moore (1810 – 1870), was educated in the  Catholic faith in England and later at Cambridge University. His main interest  was in horses and horse-racing. His brother, Arthur Augustus, was killed after a  fall from the horse Mickey Free during the 1845Aintree Grand National. At the  height of the Great Irish Famine in 1846, he entered a horse called Coranna for  the Chester Gold Cup and netted £17,000 from bets laid on the horse. During the  Famine he imported thousands of tons of grain to feed his tenants, and gave each  of his Mayo tenants a cow from his winnings. It is still remembered on the Moore  estate that nobody was evicted from their home for non-payment of rent during  hard times, and that nobody died there during the Famine. George Henry is buried  in the family vault at Kiltoom on the Moore Hall estate.

George Agustus Moore (1852 – 1933), was a distinguished  writer of the Irish Literary Revival period. Many famous writers of the time,  including Lady Gregory, Maria Edgeworth, George Osborne, and W. B. Yeats were  regular visitors to Moore Hall. George was an agnostic, and anti-Catholic. His  ashes are buried on Castle Island on Lough Carra in view of the big house on the  hill.

Maurice George Moore (1854 – 1939), Senator Colonel Maurice  Moore was the statesman of the family. He served with the Connaught Rangers in  the Boer War and became concerned with human rights in South Africa. He also  worked to relieve Irish prisoners held in English jails, and for the retention  of UCG when it came under threat. He was also involved with the co-operative  movement in Ireland, founded by Horace Plunkett.


Moore Hall house was burned down on 1 February 1923 during  the Irish Civil War. An account of the burning was given shortly afterwards by the owner in a letter to the press.